THE PRIME MINISTER
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence – Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, July 17, 2007
APPROVING THE NATIONAL TARGET PROGRAM ON PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF A NUMBER OF SOCIAL DISEASES, DANGEROUS EPIDEMICS AND HIV/AIDS IN THE 2006-2010 PERIOD
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the June 30, 1989 Law on Protection of Peoples Health;
At the proposal of the Minister of Health,
Article 1. To approve the national target program on prevention and control of a number of social diseases, dangerous epidemics and HIV/AIDS in the 2006-2010 period with the following principal contents:
1. Program title: Prevention and control of a number of social diseases, dangerous epidemics and HIV/AIDS.
2. Managing agency: The Ministry of Health.
3. Coordinating agencies: Concerned ministries, branches and localities.
4. Scope of program implementation: Provinces and cities nationwide.
5. General objectives: To proactively prevent and combat a number of social diseases and dangerous epidemics. To early detect epidemics, promptly zone off and stamp out epidemics to avoid major outbreaks. To reduce the morbidity and mortality rates of a number of social diseases and dangerous epidemics. To raise public awareness about protection and care of peoples health to meet requirements of industrialization, modernization and national construction and defense.
6. Up-to-2010 objectives of projects under the national target program on prevention and control of a number of social diseases, dangerous epidemics and HIV/AIDS:
a/ Tuberculosis prevention and control project:
To reduce the new infection rate of tuberculosis AFB(+) to 70/100,000 persons;
To reduce the mortality and infection rates of tuberculosis, to prevent drug-resistant tuberculosis.
b/ Leprosy prevention and control project:
- To eradicate leprosy under four Vietnamese criteria;
- 100% disabled leprosy patients will receive treatment and functional rehabilitation.
c/ Malaria prevention and control project:
- To prevent major malaria outbreaks;
- To reduce the malaria morbidity rate to under 1.5/1,000 persons; to reduce the mortality rate to under 0.03/100,000 persons.
d/ Cancer prevention and control project:
- To gradually reduce the cancer morbidity and mortality rates;
- To improve the living quality of cancer patients.
dd/ HIV/AIDS prevention and control project:
- To limit the HIV/AIDS infection rate to under 0.3% of the population by 2010;
- To reduce adverse impacts of HIV/AIDS on socio-economic development.
e/ Child malnutrition prevention and control project:
- To reduce the rate of underweight malnutrition to less than 20% of under-5 children; to reduce the rate of undersized malnutrition to less than 25% of under-5 children;
- To continue propagation, mobilization, monitoring and supervision of iodine salt consumption.
Click Download to see full text