THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence – Freedom – Happiness
Hanoi, August 22, 2019
On approving the Intellectual Property Strategy toward 2030
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government dated June 19, 2015;
Pursuant to the Law on Intellectual Property dated November 29, 2005 and the Law dated June 19, 2009 amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on Intellectual Property;
At the proposal of the Minister of Science and Technology;
Article 1. Approving the Intellectual Property Strategy through 2030 (hereinafter referred to as the Strategy) with the following principal contents:
1. Developing a comprehensive and effective intellectual property system at all stages of creation, establishment, exploitation, protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights, creating an environment to encourage innovation, meeting international integration requirements, making intellectual property become an important instrument to enhance national competitiveness and promote economic, cultural and social development.
2. Intellectual property policies on copyright, related rights, industrial property rights and plant variety rights shall constitute an integral part of economic, cultural and social development strategies and policies of the nation and its branches and domains.
3. Intellectual property ownership shall have the active participation of all stakeholders in society, including research institutes, universities, creative individuals, especially enterprises playing a key role in the creation and exploitation of intellectual property.
1. By 2030, Vietnam shall be in the group of leading ASEAN countries in terms of creativity, protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights.
2. The establishment of industrial property rights and plant variety rights shall be fast, transparent and fair, timely meeting the requirements of enterprises and the society.
3. Effective enforcement of law provisions on intellectual property shall be significantly improved and infringement of intellectual property rights shall be significantly reduced.
4. New intellectual property of Vietnamese individuals and organizations shall increase both in quantity and quality, dramatically improving Vietnam's intellectual property indicators in the global innovation index (GII):
a) The number of applications for patent registrations and patent protection certificates shall increase by an average of 16-18% per year;
b) The number of applications for industrial design registrations shall increase by an average of 6-8% per year;
c) The number of applications for trademark registrations shall increase by an average of 8-10% per year;
d) The number of applications for protection of plant varieties shall increase by an average of 12-14% per year, 10 - 12% of which are registered for protection abroad; making Vietnam a center for plant variety protection with the establishment of the ASEAN+ regional plant variety protection agency.
5. The efficiency of using intellectual property shall be improved and the number of products with high intellectual content shall significantly increase:
a) The exploitation and commercialization of intellectual property shall be focused and promoted; The rate of inventions that are exploited commercially shall reach 8 - 10% of inventions granted with protection certificates; there shall be at least 1 to 2 plant varieties exploited abroad; The number of enterprises effectively using intellectual property instruments in their production and business activities shall significantly increase;
b) Developing a number of industries with high levels of intellectual property use, especially those with priority and competitive advantages, significantly increasing their contribution to GDP growth;
Click Download to see the full text