THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, January 16, 2018
Approving the national action plan to prevent, minimize and eliminate illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing up to 2025
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the June 19, 2015 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the November 26, 2003 Law on Fisheries;
At the proposal of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Article 1. To promulgate together with this Decision the national action plan to prevent, minimize and eliminate illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing up to 2025.
Article 2. This Decision takes effect on the date of its signing.
Article 3. The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, other ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies and government-attached agencies, provincial-level People’s Committee chairpersons and related organizations and individuals shall implement this Decision.-
NGUYEN XUAN PHUC
NATIONAL ACTION PLAN TO PREVENT, MINIMIZE AND ELIMINATE ILLEGAL, UNREPORTED AND UNREGULATED FISHING UP TO 2025
(Promulgated together with the Prime Minister’s Decision No. 78/QD-TTg of January 16, 2018)
1. Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing decreases fisheries resources and affects Vietnam’s external relations and aquatic product exports in the international arena. The Vietnamese Government does neither tolerate nor encourage IUU fishing in domestic and international maritime zones. However, IUU fishing remains a socio-economic issue of historical nature which arises due to both objective and subjective causes and is coherent to small-scale fisheries. This requires appropriate, responsible and humanitarian approaches and solutions, especially time for conducting mobilization and education work in combination with imposing severe administrative sanctions in accordance with international law as well as the characteristics and law of each country.
2. Effective control of IUU fishing will contribute to maintaining fisheries resources and aquatic ecosystems and ensuring effective, safe and sustainable development of the fisheries industry; improving people’s lives and social justice; and maintaining national security in maritime zones.
3. This action plan conforms to Vietnam’s policies and laws on fisheries, including synchronous and comprehensive activities to ensure effective and practical prevention, minimization and elimination of IUU fishing in combination with sustainable exploitation of fisheries resources; international integration and improvement of prestige and affirmation of position of Vietnam in the international arena.
II. OBJECTIVES AND TASKS
To prevent, minimize and eliminate IUU fishing by Vietnamese and foreign organizations and individuals in Vietnam’s maritime zones, aiming to boost sustainable and responsible development of the fisheries industry, contributing to ensuring national and regional security and international integration and putting an end to illegal fishing by Vietnamese fishermen and fishing vessels in other countries’ maritime zones.
a/ Tasks to be performed by April 2018
- To review and revise the documents relating to IUU fishing (Decree No. 53/2012/ND-CP; Decree No. 41/2017/ND-CP; Circular No. 50/2015/TT-BNNPTNT; Circular No. 25/2013/TT-BNNPTNT; Circular No. 26/2016/TT-BNNPTNT; and Circular No. 02/2006/TT-BTS) toward increasing the effectiveness of IUU fishing control in conformity with the European Commission’s recommendations and Vietnam’s practical conditions for management; to review and add fishing practices banned from application or banned from application for a certain period and maritime zones and aquatic species banned from fishing or banned from fishing for a certain period;
- To approve the scheme on ocean fishing;
- To approve the master plan on offshore fishing up to 2020, with a vision toward 2030;
- Based on practical requirements, to set up an interdisciplinary working group for IUU fishing prevention and combat, which shall be composed of a leader of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development as its head;
- To establish and operate a system for controlling aquatic catches imported into Vietnam; to adjust and effectively operate the mechanism of certification of origin of domestic aquatic catches;
- To upgrade technical systems of shore stations at the Directorate of Fisheries and in 28 coastal provinces and cities so as to monitor and effectively use information collected from 10,000 fishing vessels representing fishing fleets (equivalent to around 30,000 fishing vessels equipped with communications devices), convert 3,000 terminal equipment under the MOVIMAR project, and effectively use information and data from the above monitoring system for the prevention, minimization and elimination of IUU fishing;
- To build a fisheries database (the scheme thereon has been submitted to the Prime Minister) in order to: (1) enhance the authentication, certification and tracing of domestic aquatic catches; and (2) establish an effective control system so as to refuse the import into Vietnam of IUU catches from foreign fishing vessels;
Click download to see the full text