THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, April 1, 2021
Approving the general strategy for development of Vietnam’s service sector in the 2021-2030 period, with a vision toward 2050
Pursuant to the June 19, 2015 Law on Organization of the Government; and the November 22, 2019 Law Amending and Supplementing a Number of Articles of the Law on Organization of the Government and the Law on Organization of Local Administration;
Pursuant to the Government’s Resolution No. 140/NQ-CP of November 9, 2018, on its October 2018 regular meeting;
At the proposal of the Minister of Planning and Investment,
Article 1. To approve the general strategy for development of Vietnam’s service sector in the 2021-2030 period, with a vision toward 2050 (below referred to as the Strategy), with the following principal contents:
A. VIEWPOINTS AND OBJECTIVES
I. DEVELOPMENT VIEWPOINTS
- To develop the service sector in a fast, effective and sustainable manner, ensuring that the basic services with increased quality serve the national socio-economic development directed toward the formation of a modern economic structure.
- To develop various services suitable to each period of national economic development and international integration; to mobilize all resources of different economic sectors, particularly the private economy.
- To develop the service sector on the basis of effectively promoting the potentials, advantages, innovation and creativity, effectively applying scientific and technological achievements in the context of the Fourth Industrial Revolution in order to advance quickly and catch up with other countries around the world. To prioritize and focus on the development of a number of services with advantages and a high knowledge and technological content.
- To develop and internationally integrate the service sector along with ensuring an independent and sovereign economy and social safety as well as national security; to open the markets of different services in association with effectively protecting domestic industries; to bring into play domestic resources, considering them the basis for the service sector’s active, proactive and effective integration.
- To develop the service sector with independent capacity and flexible adaptability against negative impacts of global major economic crises, natural disasters and pandemics.
II. DEVELOPMENT OBJECTIVES
1. General objectives
To develop the service sector into a key sector with high quality, efficiency and competitiveness accounting for a major proportion in the economy, on par with that of the ASEAN-4 countries, and in conformity with international standards and practices.
2. Specific objectives
The service sector’s growth rate in the 2021-2030 period will be 7%- 8%, higher than the national economic growth rate. By 2030, the proportion of the service sector will represent about 50% of the GDP.
In the 2030-2050 period, the service sector will sustain a growth rate higher than the national economic growth rate, accounting for about 60% of the GDP.
B. ORIENTATIONS FOR MATERIALIZATION OF THE STRATEGY
I. GENERAL ORIENTATIONS
- To step up the institutional reform, heightening the transparency, efficiency and competitiveness of services in the context of the Fourth Industrial Revolution and Vietnam’s more extensive and intensive international integration.
- To step up the restructuring of services on the basis of modern technologies, application of the Fourth Industrial Revolution’s achievements, particularly the services in the fields of finance, banking, insurance, health, education, transport, logistics, commerce, tourism, etc. To maintain the service sector’s growth rate higher than the GDP growth rate; to gradually increase the service proportion in the GDP.
- To concentrate on developing a number of services and products with a high knowledge and technological content and competitive edge such as distribution, tourism, information technology, finance-banking, logistics, education and training, health, etc. At the same time, to form a number of tourist service centers with high-quality and branded products which are deeply imbued with national cultural identities and highly competitive in the region and the world.
- To raise the quality of service products and the competitiveness of service enterprises on domestic, regional and international markets. To intensify the exploitation of potentials and advantages of each service, enhancing cooperation among services for joint competition and development.
- To step up socialization for development of cultural, educational, medical, physical training and sports, employment and other services under the market mechanism, meeting the domestic demand and incrementally integrating in the international market.
- To continue mobilizing investment capital from various economic sectors at home and abroad for upgrading and construction of infrastructure and procurement of modern technical equipment in order to facilitate the development of services. State budget funds should be prioritized for the development, consolidation, upgrading and modernization of critical infrastructure in the fields of transport, airports, seaports, telecommunications, tourism, finance and banking.
- To open the service market under international commitments, increasing the mobilization and promotion of foreign investment in the service sector.
- To survey and assess the competitiveness of each current and future service; to classify services to be protected, services to be temporarily or definitely done away with for door opening and give national treatment and most-favored nation status to foreign service providers.
- To step up the development of services toward harmony between regions and zones, modernity, fast and sustainable growth in association with heightening the prestige and quality of service products of Vietnam.
II. ORIENTATIONS FOR DEVELOPMENT OF SERVICES
1. Orientations for development of priority services
a/ Tourist service
- To improve tourist development institutions and policies and heighten the effectiveness and efficiency of state management of tourism.
- To quickly develop modern and synchronous infrastructure in service of tourism development, including transport and information technology infrastructure in key tourist development zones, national tourist zones and areas with tourist potentials.
- To diversely develop tourists’ markets, based on surveys and studies of tourists’ markets, demands and tastes. To focus on attracting tourists from the markets of Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, North America, Western Europe, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe and Russian Federation. To pay attention to the development of new markets with potentials such as Middle East, Southern Europe, South America and South Asia; at the same time, to attach importance to the development of domestic tourists’ markets, particularly in the initial years of the 2021-2030 period of the Strategy, especially in the context of negative impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on tourism.
Click download to see the full text
 Công Báo Nos 545-546 (16/4/2021)