THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
On International Agreements
Pursuant to the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
The National Assembly promulgates the Law on International Agreements.
Article 1. Scope of regulation
1. This Law provides the principles, competence, order and procedures for conclusion, amendment, supplementation, extension, and invalidation of, withdrawal from, and suspension and organization of implementation of, international agreements, and responsibilities of related agencies in conclusion and implementation of international agreements.
2. This Law does not regulate the conclusion and implementation of agreements on official development assistance (ODA) and concessional loans of foreign donors under the law on public debt management; agreements on Vietnam’s provision of loans and aid for foreign countries under the law on Vietnam’s provision of loans and aid for foreign countries; agreements on foreign non-governmental aid under the law on foreign non-governmental aid; contracts under the civil law; and contracts of investment projects in the form of public-private partnership under the law on investment in the form of public-private partnership.
Article 2. Interpretation of terms
In this Law, the terms below are construed as follows:
1. International agreement means a written agreement on international cooperation between a Vietnamese signatory within the ambit of its functions, tasks and powers and a foreign signatory, which does not give rise to, change or terminate, rights and obligations of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in accordance with international law.
2. Vietnamese signatories include:
a/ The State, National Assembly, and Government;
b/ The Ethnic Council and Committees of the National Assembly (below collectively referred to as agencies of the National Assembly), the National Assembly Secretary General, the National Assembly Office, agencies under the National Assembly Standing Committee, and the State Audit Office of Vietnam;
c/ The President Office, Supreme People’s Court, and Supreme People’s Procuracy;
d/ Ministries, ministerial-level agencies, and government-attached agencies;
dd/ Provincial-level People’s Councils and People’s Committees (below collectively referred to as provincial-level state agencies);
e/ General departments and departments under ministries and ministerial-level agencies;
g/ Specialized agencies under provincial-level People’s Committees;
h/ District-level People’s Committees;
i/ Commune-level People’s Committees in border areas;
k/ Central agencies of socio-political organizations, socio-political-professional organizations, social organizations, and socio-professional organizations (below collectively referred to as central agencies of organizations); and provincial-level agencies of socio-political organizations, socio-political-professional organizations, social organizations, and socio-professional organizations (below collectively referred to as provincial-level agencies of organizations).
3. Central-level state agencies include the agencies specified at Points b, c and d, Clause 2 of this Article.
4. Foreign signatory means a State, National Assembly, Government, or local administration or an agency or organization established under a foreign law, an international organization or a foreign individual.
5. Conclusion means acts performed by a competent person or agency, including signing and approving an international agreement or exchanging instruments constituting an international agreement.
6. Signing means an act performed by a competent or authorized person using his/her signature to accept the binding of the agency or organization concluding an international agreement.
7. Invalidation of an international agreement means an act performed by a Vietnamese signatory to renounce the validity of an international agreement.
8. Withdrawal from an international agreement means an act performed by a Vietnamese signatory to renounce the acceptance of the binding of an international agreement.
9. Suspension of implementation of an international agreement means an act performed by a Vietnamese signatory to suspend the implementation of the whole or part of an international agreement.
Click download to see the full text
 Công Báo Nos 1179-1180 (23/12/2020)