THE PRIME MINISTER
SOCIALIST REPUBLICOF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom– Happiness
Hanoi, November 16th, 2007
TO APPROVE THE NATIONAL STRATEGY FOR NATURAL DISASTER PREVENTION, RESPONSE AND MITIGATION TO 2020
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of Government dated 25th December 2001;
Pursuant to the Law on Water Resource dated 20th May 1998; Pursuant to the Law on Dyke dated 29th November 2006;
PursuanttoOrdinanceonFloodandStormControldated20th March1993 and the amended and revised Ordinance on Flood and Storm Control dated 24th August 2000;
PursuanttoDecree86/2003/NĐ-CPdated18th July2003oftheGovernment stipulatingfunctions,duties,authorityandorganizationalstructureoftheMinistry of Agriculture and Rural Development;
Considering the request of Minister of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development cum Chairman of Central Committee for Flood and Storm Control,
Article 1.To approvetheNationalStrategyfornaturaldisasterprevention, response and mitigation to 2020 with the main contents as follow:
1. Disastermanagementincludespreparedness,responsetoandrecoveryof consequencescausedbydisastersinordertoensurethesustainablesocio-economic developmentandnationalsecurityanddefense.
2. Government agencies, social organizations, economic organizations, armed forces, citizens, and foreign organizations and individuals living in the territory of Vietnam all are duty-bound to disaster prevention, response and mitigation.
3. Disaster prevention, response and mitigation are joint actions of Government and citizens that effectively utilize state resources as well as take advantage of all possible resources of the community, national and international organizations and individuals.
4. Disasterprevention,responseandmitigationshallbe integratedintosocio- economic development master planning and plans of every region, sector, and nation-wide.
5. Disaster prevention, response and mitigation shall be giving priority to disaster preparedness, keeping studying on impacts of the global climate change, stormsurge and other extreme climate phenomena for appropriate response actions.
1. Government consolidates the State management on disaster prevention, response and mitigation nationwide; Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development is the standing agency and to cooperate with relevant agencies to support Government in executing the state management in the field of DM.
2. Ensure to follow the directions of the ruling Party and the policies, and legislation of the State. Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the state managementandincreasetheresponsibilityofeveryorganization andindividualfor disasterprevention,responseandmitigation.Stepbystepcompleteinstitutionsand organizational mechanisms from central to local levels Raise awareness and disseminateexperienceondisasterprevention,responseandmitigation,especially at commune, village, and hamlet level.
3. The National Strategy for disaster prevention, response and mitigation must be implemented in synchronous, period-based and priorities-based manners, responsive to both intermediate and long-term purposes. The principles used for disaster prevention, response and mitigation in Vietnam is the “four-on-the-spot” (commandonthespot,man-poweronthespot,materialsonthespotandlogistics on the spot) and proactive prevention, timely response, quick and effective recovery.Disasterrecoveryshouldbecombinedwithreconstructionandupgrading to ensure sustainable development of each area and sector.
4. Investment for disaster prevention, response and mitigation is critical to ensure a sustainable development. Government shall ensure the availability of necessary resources and mobilize the contribution of community and the whole society for disaster prevention, response and mitigation. Investment for disaster prevention, response and mitigation must combine both structural and non- structural measures, for multipurpose, and be harmonized with the nature, and environment.
5. Ensure the implementation of international commitments in the field of disaster prevention, response and mitigation.
1. General goal:
Mobilize allresourcestoeffectivelyimplementdisasterprevention,response andmitigationfromnowupto2020inordertominimizethelossesofhumanlife and properties, the damage of natural resources and cultural heritages, and the degradation of environment, contributing significantly to ensure the country sustainable development, national defense and security.
2. Specific objectives:
a) Enhance the capacities of forecasting flood, storm, drought, seawater intrusion, of informing earthquake, of warning tsunami and extreme hydro- meteorologyphenomena,ofwhichthefocusisgiventoincreasetheearlywarning of stormand tropical depression to 72 hours in advance.
b) Ensure that the development planning and building codes of socio- economicstructuresandresidentialareasinplacesfrequentlyaffectedbydisaster suit to regional standards for flood and storm control; and socio-economic developmentplansandsectoralplansareintegratedwiththestrategyandplansof disaster prevention, response and mitigation for a sustainable development.
c) Ensure 100% of local staffs who directly work in the field of disaster prevention,responseandmitigationatalllevelstobetrainedandstrengthenedof capacitiesfordisasterprevention,responseandmitigation;ensuremorethan70% of population living in disaster prone areas to be disseminated of knowledge on disaster mitigation.
d) Complete the relocation, arrangement and stabilization of the life for people in disaster prone areas according to the planning approved by authorized government agencies. Up to 2010, manage to relocate all population from flash flood and land slide high-risk areas and dangerous areas to safety places.
đ) Direct the collaboration and cooperation among forces of search and rescue to take initiative in responding to emergency situations; ensure adequate investment for construction of technical infrastructure and facilities, for procurement of equipment and for human resource development to deal with disastersearchandrescueinlinewiththeMasterPlanningforSearchandRescueto 2015,withvisionupto2020approvedbyPrimeMinisteronDecision46/2006/QĐ- TTg on 28th February2006.
e) EnsuresafetyforthedykesystemsatprovincesfromHaTinhprovinceup to the North of the country; improve the flood-resistant capacity of embankment systems in the Coastal Central region, Central Highlands and the Eastern South; completetheconsolidationandupgradingofseadykesystemsalloverthecountry to protect population, develop the sea economy, and ensure national security and defenseincoastalareas.
Click Download to see full text