THE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, August 16, 2006
APPROVING THE STRATEGY ON DEVELOPMENT OF FOREST SEEDS IN THE 2006-2020 PERIOD
THE MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
Pursuant to the Government's Decree No. 86/2003/ND-CP of July 18, 2003, defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development;
Pursuant to Ordinance No. 15/2004/PL-UBTVQH, on Plant Varieties, which was adopted on March 24, 2004, by the Standing Committee of the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
Pursuant to the Prime Minister's Decision No. 17/2006/QD-TTg of January 20, 2006, on the continued implementation of Decision No. 225/1999/QD-TTg of December 10, 1999, on the plant variety, animal breed and forest seed program till 2010;
At the proposal of the director of the Forestry Department and the director of the Science and Technology Department,
Article 1.- To approve the Strategy on development of forest seeds in the 2006-2020 period with the following principal contents:
1. The Strategy's objectives:
a/ General objectives
To build a modern forest seed sector, ensuring the adequate supply of high-quality seeds in service of forestation demands; to apply new science and technology in the direction of using hybrid superiority, step by step applying bio-technology to crossbreeding and biodiversity preservation; to form a system of forest seed production and services, which is strictly managed and suits the market mechanism.
b/ Specific objectives:
- Seed supply objectives: By 2010, to supply 60% of seeds from recognized seed sources, of which 40% shall come from vegetative propagation for forestation; by 2015, to supply 80% of seeds from recognized seed sources, of which 50% shall come from vegetative propagation for forestation.
- Seed management objectives: By the end of 2006, to elaborate and finalize all documents on management of forest seeds; by the end of 2008, to basically achieve the technical standards on forest seeds; to complete the managerial apparatus and tools for control of forest seed quality according to the procedures of supervising the process of creation of seeds for major crops by 2007.
- Seed research objectives: to select and create many new high-yield plant varieties and seeds resistant to diseases and unfavorable conditions. To ensure that forests planted after 2020 shall yield an average of 30m3/ha/year for fast-growing trees and 15m3/ha/year for big timber trees.
- Resource objectives: By 2010, to basically have adequate officials and personnel engaged in seeding and breeding activities, including seed research, production and supply. Important technical equipment and supplies shall be modernized to be on par with those in regional countries. To form seed production and supply networks in the direction of socialization of forest breeding activities with the participation of many sectors (state enterprises, private enterprises, households and individuals).
2. The Strategy's contents:
2.1. Orientations for forest seed production and supply
a/ Plant species prioritized for seed development:
- Group of timber trees in service of economic afforestation:
+ Big timber trees: Dipterocarpus alatus, tectona grandis, melia azedarach, pinus caribaea, hopea odorata, acacia of all kinds.
+ Small timber trees: Recognized varieties of eucalyptus, acacia, cajuputi.
- Group of trees planted to enrich forests, additionally planted in tended forests: michelia tonkinensis, oaramichelia braianensis, chukrasia tabularis, cinnamomum obtuifolium, terminalia chebula, soi phang, tarrietia javanica, endospermum chinense, pygeum arboreum, senna siamea.
- Group of non-timber forest trees: Cinnamomum cassia, illicium verum, camellia sasanqua, canarium, bamboo, rattan, tram gio, pinus merkusii.
- Group of protective forest trees: Headwater protective forests shall include species of plants planted to enrich forests; for coastal land protection: Azadirachta indica, s. fotieda, casuariana equisetifolia, acacia difficilis; for submerged land protection: melaleuca, rhizophora apiculata, bruguiera, avicennia alba.
b/ Building of seed source systems
- To plan the system of seed sources throughout the country, based on the review and re-registration of the existing seed sources.
- To additionally select new seed sources to exert impact on transformation (around 2,700 ha).
- To build some 2,900 ha of breeding forests, high-quality seed nurseries in the direction: breeding forests for plant species with little genetic variation or planted on small areas, based on the selection of dominant plants for propagation materials; gamogenetic nurseries for perennial indigenous plant species in order to supply improved seeds while conserving gene sources; agamous nurseries for indigenous or imported fast-growing plant species capable of vegetative propagation so as to quickly acquire high-quality seeds and supply origin materials.
- To organize the registration of and grant certificates to, breeding forests, nurseries up to the quality standards under the regulations on forest seed management.
- To import seeds, including seeds which are insufficient in the country and new seeds for future forest development programs.
- To annually update information on seed source systems.
c/ To build systems of breeding and tissue culture nurseries: On the basis of the quantity of 760 million seedlings of different kinds, which are produced annually from seeds, cuttings and tissue culture.
- To build 3 nurseries with modern propagation technology and modern nursery technology in 3 zones, northern Vietnam, northern Central Vietnam and southern Central Vietnam.
- Provinces with forested areas > 10,000 ha/year can build a large-scale nursery each (capacity > 1 million seedlings/year).
- The number of breeding nurseries:
+ Seeding nurseries: Existing: 135, to be newly built: 65 with the capacity of 1 million seedlings/year.
+ Cuttings nurseries: Existing: 192, to be newly built: 158.
+ Tissue culture houses: Existing: 43; to be newly built: 57.
Click Download to see full text