THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, May 11, 2022
On improvement of the quality of highly qualified human resources training
Resolution No. 29-NQ/TW of November 4, 2013, of the 8th plenum of the 11th Party Central Committee, on the substantive and comprehensive renewal of education and training to meet the requirements of industrialization and modernization in the context of the socialist-oriented market economy and international integration, states that the task of higher education is to concentrate on training human resources with high qualifications and fostering talents. The Resolution of the 13th National Party Congress emphasizes that the development of highly qualified human resources is one of the three strategic breakthroughs in the country’s socio-economic development.
In furtherance of the Party’s guidelines, over the past years, the Government and Prime Minister have paid attention to investment in and provided directions on improvement of the quality of training highly qualified human resources, especially master’s and doctoral degrees (below collectively referred to as postgraduate training). To implement directions of the Government and Prime Minister, the Ministry of Education and Training has given its advice on promulgation of, or promulgated according to its competence, mechanisms, policies and solutions to improve the quality of postgraduate training. In 2021, a number of Vietnam’s higher education institutions are among good universities in the world according to reputable international rankings. So far, human resources in some sectors of Vietnam, such as healthcare, mechanical engineering, technology, and construction, have reached regional and international levels.
However, the training of highly qualified human resources in general, including postgraduate training, still sees numerous shortcomings, thus failing to meet the requirements of socio-economic development of the country. At some training institutions, violations are still committed in the enrollment for and organization of postgraduate training, especially doctoral training, which have not been detected and remediated in time. The quality of not few theses has failed to meet scientific and practical requirements.
To further promote and improve the quality of postgraduate training, especially doctoral training, the Prime Minister provides the following directions:
1. The Ministry of Education and Training shall strengthen the synchronous implementation of solutions to improve the quality of postgraduate training up to international training standards, especially disciplines capable of meeting the requirements of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Particular attention will be paid to the following tasks:
a/ To develop a higher education quality assurance and accreditation system of Vietnam with quantity and quality up to regional and international standards and practices;
b/ To promote the application of information technology and improve databases for raising the efficiency of state management of postgraduate training;
c/ To intensify the inspection, examination and supervision of the implementation of regulations on postgraduate training at training institutions, and strictly handle violations under regulations;
d/ To direct postgraduate training institutions:
- To formulate and promulgate guiding regulations on postgraduate training according to their competence; to strictly comply with training program standards and current regulations on enrollment for and organization of postgraduate training;
- To consolidate quality assurance systems within training institutions; to strictly implement regulations on quality accreditation of postgraduate training programs, encouraging accreditation based on standards of prestigious regional and international accreditation organizations;
- To ensure the publicity and transparency of the stages from enrollment, organization of training and grant of diplomas, ensuring peer review, and supervision by the society and stakeholders; at the same time, to heighten the role and responsibilities of scientists in the training process;
- To promote the association of training with scientific research; to carry out joint postgraduate training with reputable foreign training institutions to improve the training quality according to regional and international standards.
- To properly carry out internal inspection and supervision: process of selecting topics and research orientations; criteria and conditions for instructors, independent reviewers, and members of thesis evaluation councils; responsibilities of related scientists for the quality of theses; and publication of research results related to thesis topics in domestic and international scientific journals.
2. Ministries, ministerial-level agencies, government-attached agencies and provincial-level People’s Committees - agencies directly managing postgraduate training institutions, shall:
a/ Attach importance to highly qualified human resources training to meet requirements of the development of sectors, fields and localities; and prioritize investment to ensure the quality of postgraduate training at their affiliated training institutions;
b/ Intensify examination and inspection of the observance of the Ministry of Education and Training’s regulations on enrollment for and organization of postgraduate training at their affiliated training institutions; and provide prompt rectifications and strictly handle violations under regulations.
3. Ministries, ministerial-level agencies, government-attached agencies and provincial-level People’s Committees shall direct units with their staff members sent to postgraduate training courses to create favorable conditions for such staffs in the process of training, employ them after training and, at the same time, ensure strict implementation of regulations.
Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies, chairpersons of provincial-level People’s Committees, postgraduate training institutions, and related organizations and individuals shall strictly implement this Directive.-
For the Prime Minister
Deputy Prime Minister
VU DUC DAM