SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, January 06, 2009
ON AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
At the proposal of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Article 1. Scope of regulation and subjects of application
1. Scope of regulation
a/ Production, processing, preservation and consumption in agriculture, forestry, salt making, fishery, irrigation, agricultural electric engineering and rural trades;
b/ Rural agricultural services covering strains, plant protection, animal health, agricultural supplies, equipment, machines, farm instruments, irrigation and rural clean water and environmental sanitation.
Agricultural extension activities related to international programs, projects or treaties to which Vietnam is a contracting party comply with such international programs, projects or treaties.
2. Subjects of application
a/ Producers, including farmers engaged in small-scale production, commodity production and farmers of poor households; farm owners, members of cooperation teams or cooperatives; agricultural or forestry farm workers; and small-and medium-sized enterprises;
b/ Domestic and foreign agricultural extension organizations which carry out activities to assist farmers in production and business development in the fields mentioned in Clause 1, Article 1 of this Decree;
c/ Agricultural extension workers M
d/ Agencies functioning to perform the state management of agricultural extension."
Article 2. Objectives of agricultural extension
1. To raise production and business efficiency for producers to increase their incomes, escape from poverty and get rich, through training in production and business knowledge and skills
and provision of services to assist farmers in carrying out effective production and business activities adapted to ecological, climate and market conditions.
2. To contribute to restructuring the agricultural economy towards commodity production, higher productivity and Quality as well as food hygiene and safety, meeting domestic and export demands; to decelerate agricultural and rural industrialization and modernization, building a new-type countryside and ensuring national food security, socio-economic stability and environmental protection.
3. To mobilize resources from domestic and foreign organizations and individuals for
Article 3. Principles for agricultural extension
1. To stem from farmers' demands and the State's agricultural development requirements.
2. To promote farmers' initiative and active role and voluntary participation in agricultural extension.
3. To ensure close association between managerial bodies, scientific research institution^ enterprises and farmers as well as among fawners.
4. To socialize agricultural extension and diversify Agricultural extension services so as to mobilize sources from domestic and foreign organizations and individuals for agricultural extension.
5. To exercise democracy and publicity with community oversight.
6. To ensure that agricultural extension contents and methods are suitable to each region, each locality and target groups of farmers and different ethnic communities.
CONTENTS OF AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION
Article 4. Training
a/ Producers defined at Point a, Clause 2, Article 1 of this Decree, who have not yet participated in any state-funded vocational training programs;
b/ Agricultural extension workers defined at Point c, Clause 2, Article 1 of this Decree.
Providing producers with training in policies and law; training in and hand-down of trades to farmers in production skills and production and business organization and management in the agricultural extension fields defined in Clause 1, Article 1 of this Decree; providing training for agricultural extension workers so as to raise their qualifications.
a/ Via demonstration models;
b/ Organization of short-term training courses, combining theory with practices;
c/Through communications media, including newspapers, radio, leaflets and documents (books, CDs and DVDs);
d/ Through distance training programs on radio or television channels; establishing television channels exclusive for agriculture, farmers and rural areas; prioritizing training of farmers on television;
e/ Through agricultural extension websites;
f/ Organizing domestic and overseas surveys and study tours.
4. Organization of implementation
a/ The training of farmers and agricultural extension workers shall be undertaken by agricultural extension organizations defined at Point b, Clause 2, Article 1 of this Decree;
b/ Staff lecturers will be agricultural-extension specialists or officials of university or higher level, outstanding farmers and advanced model individuals who are experienced in production and business and have made contributions to society and communities and have been trained in agricultural extension skills.
Article 5. Information and propagation
1. To popularize the Party's undertakings and lines as well as the State's policies and laws through the mass media system and sociopolitical organizations.
2. To disseminate scientific and technological advances, advanced production and business models through the mass media system, agricultural extension reviews, documents, conferences, workshops, contests, fairs, exhibitions, forums and other forms of propagation; to publish and distribute agricultural extension publications.
3. To build up and manage data of the agricultural extension information system.
Article 6. Demonstration and model development
1. To build demonstration models on scientific and technological advances suitable to each locality, producers' demands and sector' s orientations, and models on good production practices associated with product sale.
2. To build models on hi-tech application in agriculture.
3. To build models on effective and sustainable agricultural production and business organization and management.
4. To transfer scientific and technological results from demonstration models and advanced production models for wide application.
Article 7. Agricultural extension consultancy and services
1. Consultancy and services in the fields defined in Clause 1, Article 1 of this Decree, on:
a/ Policies and law concerning agricultural and rural development;
b/Application of scientific and technological advances to organization and management in order to raise productivity, quality and food hygiene and safety, to reduce production costs and raise product competitiveness;
c/ Business start-up for owners of farms and small- and medium-sized enterprises in the formulation of investment projects, seeking for production grounds, capital raising, labor recruitment, training, technology selection and market search;
d/ Product sale contracts, production and business insurance contracts;
e/ Provision of agricultural supplies.
2. Other consultancy and services for agricultural and rural development.
Article 8. International cooperation in agricultural extension
1. To participate in agricultural Extension activities under international cooperation programs. 2. To exchange agricultural Intension experiences with foreign organizations and individuals as well as international organizations under Vietnamese law.
3. To improve the capabilities and foreign language skills of agricultural- extension workers through international cooperation programs as well as domestic and overseas surveys and study tours.