THE PRIME MINISTER
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, June 25, 2010
APPROVING SCHEME OF MODERNIZATION OF FORECASTING TECHNOLOGY AND HYDROLOGIC METEOROLOGICAL OBSERVATION NETWORK, PERIOD 2010 – 2012
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to Resolution No.27/NQ-CP dated June 12, 2009 of the Government on a number of urgent measures in the management of state of natural resources and environment;
At the proposal of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment,
Article 1. To approve the scheme to modernize forecasting technology and the hydrological meteorological observation network, period 2010 - 2012 with the following contents:
1. Project’s name: Modernization of forecast technology and the hydrological meteorological observation network, period 2010 - 2012.
2. The main objective of the scheme:
a) General objectives:
To enhance the technical infrastructure, improve capacity of observation and hydrological meteorological forecast, focusing on forecasting by models of numerical value, and ultra-short forecast, to improve the quality of forecast for serving more positive requirements of economic - social development, ensuring security, and defense of the country, contributing to mitigate damage caused by natural disasters and responding to climate change.
b) Specific objectives:
- To increase the density and automation of systems of observation and hydrological meteorology to provide accurately data and timely serve forecasting technology by numerical model, modern technology to forecast rain, flood.
- To renovate and strengthen capacity of systems of treatment, storage, information transmission to serve hydrological meteorological forecasts.
- To implement ultra- short hydrological meteorological forecasts, improve the quality of hydrological meteorological forecasts aimed at leading countries in the ASEAN region.
- To build the modern Operational Administrative Center of Hydrometeorology meeting requirements to modernize forecasting technology and hydrological meteorological information.
3. The contents of the scheme:
The scheme includes the following main contents:
a) Modernization of surface hydrological meteorological observation networks:
- To install 127 automatic weather stations for the northern region; equipped with automatic equipment to measure water level and rainfall for 25 hydrological stations available on the Red River system; install 412 automatic rain gauging points on nationwide scope and strengthen the traditional instruments for networks of available hydrological meteorological stations.
- To set up system of receipt, information transmission, information processing, including: equipped with information technology, information transmission for hydrological meteorological stations, wind gauging station, provincial Center for Hydrometeorology, regional Hydro-Meteorological Station, Center of Hydrometeorology network and Environment, Information Technology Center of Hydrometeorology.
b) Modernization of sounding meteorological observation network:
- The network of weather radar stations:
+ To construct central operating system, including systems of operation, management, technical processing, and synchronization of technology operating, processing information of all radars on the network.
+ To construct 04 weather radar stations: Vietnam Tri, Vinh, Quy Nhon, Pleiku and move weather radar station Nha Trang to the new location to ensure the technical requirements.
- Aerosol sonde network:
To construct 02 new ozone sonde stations in Ca Mau and Cam Ranh to improve the observation regime of the entire network 2 obs/day.
c) Development of databases and information systems of hydrometeorology:
- Specialized information system for hydro-meteorological forecasts:
+ To build and equip with VSAT data transmission equipment for the central station in Hanoi.
+ To build and equip with VSAT data transmission equipment for 73 remote stations (09 regional stations of Hydrometeorology, 54 provincial Centers for Hydrometeorology and 10 radar stations).
+ To equip with 03 mobile VSAT stations in response to severe weather conditions.
- System of integration, processing and automatic switching of hydro-meteorological data:
+ To equip with software, including automatic software to integrate, process and switch hydro-meteorological data; automatic software to set up the optimal path between the systems of WAN - Internet - fiber optic - satellite networks; management software of hydro-meteorological specialized network; automatic software to control systems of collection and distribution of data.
+ To invest in the system of equipment: 02 file servers and server to administer system at the Center for hydrometeorological Information Technology; 64 servers for the Center for Central Hydrometeorological Forecast, 9 regional Hydrometeorological Stations and 54 provincial Hydrometeorological Centers.
- Database of hydro-meteorological basic survey for forecasting:
+ To equip with system of specialized database software: surface meteorology, ozone meteorology, agricultural meteorology, marine hydro-meteorology, hydrology, air environment, and water, management software to exploit hydro-meteorological information system.
+ To set up information content for the database system of hydrometeorology.
+ To enhance the technical infrastructure of information technology (equip with computer; build SAN storage network, build meteorological geographic portal).
+ To train use of applicable softwares for building database of hydro-meteorological basic survey; train technology transfer, analysis, synthesis, administration of system, database, network.
d) Modernization of technology of meteorological forecast:
- To modernize meteorological forecasting technologies:
+ To equip with assimilation system of hydro-meteorological data, the software to receive, process, integrate, display surface observational data source, ozone, satellite, radar, products of numerical model.
+ To develop 02 predictive numerical value models of high resolution meteorology for the restricted areas.
+ To receive and deploy application of software to support ultra-short weather forecast (TITAN/TIFS/STSAT/ SWIRLS); compile professional process of ultra-short weather forecast.
+ To buy the surface data, data of analysis and meteorological forecast with global scale of the Center for European weather forecasts as input and boundary conditions for models of limited territory of Vietnam.
- To modernize sea hydrological forecasting technology:
To equip with a set of combination software of sea hydrological forecast and set up the input data combination for the model.
- To modernize hydrological forecasting technologies:
+ To equip with technology of hydrological forecasting for upstream of reservoirs.
+ To equip with flood forecasting ultra-short numerical technology for the steep rivers, quick flood happening.
+ To equip with flood warnings technology in real time for the cities.
+ To equip with automatic transmission software of data, products, results of analysis and forecasts on Website, internal communication networks and to the agencies, authorities, and mass media.
- To equip with enough powerful computing system:
To equip with a powerful computer system to meet the requirements to run the models and software.
đ) Development of Operational Administrative Center for Hydrometeorology:
To build the building of Operational Administrative Center for Hydrometeorology with a total construction floor area of about 20,200 m2.
e) The plan is divided into 05 component projects as follows:
- The component project 1 to modernize the network of surface hydro-meteorological observation, with the investment cost of about 342 billion dong, the project is divided into 02 sub-projects:
+ To develop a network of stations, the salinity, rain gauging places for hydro-meteorological forecast, the period of 2010 to 2012. Funding to implement is approximately 124.6 billion dong;
+ To strengthen capacity of surface hydro-meteorological observation network for hydro-meteorological forecast. Funding to implement is approximately 217.4 billion dong.
- The component project 2 to modernize the sounding meteorological observation network, the investment cost is about 292 billion dong, the project is divided into 06 sub-projects:
+ To install weather radar station Viet Tri for forecasting Hydrometeorology. Funding to implement is approximately 46.15 billion dong;
+ To install weather radar station Pleiku for forecasting Hydrometeorology. Funding to implement is approximately 46.15 billion dong;
+ To install weather radar station Vinh for forecasting hydrometeorology. Funding to implement is approximately 51.4 billion dong;
+ To install weather radar station Quy Nhon for forecasting hydrometeorology. Funding to implement is approximately 73.4 billion dong;
+ To invest in developing 02 sounding radio stations Cam Ranh, Ca Mau for meteorological forecast. Funding to implement is approximately 24.2 billion dong;
+ To equip with systems of operating, managing, processing technique, combination of central radar image for meteorological forecast. Funding to implement is approximately 50.5 billion dong.
- The component project 3 to formulate database and modernize information system of hydrometeorology, investment cost is about 294 billion dong, the project is divided into 03 sub-projects:
+ To develop specialized information systems of hydrometeorology. Funding to implement is approximately 196.7 billion dong;
+ To develop a synchronous system of computer networks and integration, processing, automatic switching of hydro-meteorological data. Funding to implement is approximately 56.95 billion;
+ To develop a meteorological database for forecasting. Funding to implement is about 40.29 billion dong.
- The component project 4: technological modernization of hydro-meteorological forecast, the investment cost is about 151.83 billion dong.
- The component project 5: to establish the Center for Meteorological Operational Administration, the investment cost is about 262 billion dong.
4. Total investment capital and funding for implementing the scheme is about 1,391 billion dong from the State budget in which:
- Capital of investment in the development is about 1,109 billion dong;
- Business economic capital is about 282 billion.
5. Project implementation period: from 2010 to 2012.
6. Investment Governing Agency and Investor:
- Investment Governing Agency: Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.
- Investor: Center for National Hydrometeorology
Article 2. Organization of implementation
1. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment performs the tasks of the investment governing agency, direct the formulation and approval of projects and sub-projects under the scheme according to the current regulations.
2. Ministry of Planning and Investment, Ministry of Finance:
- To coordinate with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to study the mechanism, policies and allocation of capital raised from government bonds, the state budget for the project right from the second quarter in 2010, to plan annually, arrange adequate capital to ensure the progress of implementation of the scheme.
- To mobilize ODA source and international aid sources to implement capacity improvement of hydrologic meteorological forecasts.
Article 3. This Decision takes effect from its signing date.
Article 4. Ministers: of Natural Resources and Environment, Planning and Investment, Finance, Information and Communication and the heads of the concerned agencies, units shall implement this Decision./.
FOR THE PRIME MINISTER
DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER
Hoang Trung Hai