THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence – Freedom – Happiness _____________________
Hanoi, October 01, 2021
On approving the National Strategy on Green Growth in the 2021 - 2030 period, with a vision toward 2050
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government dated June 19, 2015, and the Law Amending and Supplementing a Number of Articles of the Law on Organization of the Government and the Law on Organization of Local Administration dated November 22, 2019;
Pursuant to the Resolution No. 24-NQ/TW dated June 03, 2013, of the XIth Central Committee, on actively responding climate change, strengthening the natural resource management and environmental protection;
Pursuant to the Conclusion No. 56-KL/TW dated June 03, 2013, of the Political Bureau, on continuing to implement the Resolution of the XIth Central Committee, on actively responding to climate change, strengthening the natural resource management and environmental protection;
At the proposal of the Minister of Planning and Investment;
Article 1. Approving "National strategy on green growth for the period 2021- 2030 with a vision to 2050" (hereinafter referred to as the Strategy) with the following main contents:
1. Green growth contributes to promoting economic restructuring associated with growth model innovation, improving competitiveness and resistance to external shocks, the 2021-2030 Socio-Economic Development Strategy, the national planning system, and the sector and field development strategy.
2. Green growth is an important part of sustainable development, directly contributing to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions towards the carbon-neutral economy in the long term.
3. Green growth focuses on the people, helping to reduce human vulnerability before climate change; encouraging the responsible lifestyle of each individual towards the community and society, orienting future generations to a green living culture, forming a civilized and modern society in harmony with nature and the environment.
4. Green growth bases on modern institutions and governance, advanced science and technology, high-quality human resources, suitable to the international context and domestic conditions.
5. Green growth orients investment in advanced technology, digital transformation, smart and sustainable infrastructure; creates an impetus for private investment to play an increasingly important role in the green economy.
6. Green growth is the cause of the whole political system, the people, the business community, and related agencies and organizations, driven by the spirit of innovation and the aspiration to develop a prosperous and sustainable country.
1. General objectives
Green growth contributes to promoting economic restructuring associated with growth model innovation, in order to achieve economic prosperity, environmental sustainability, and social justice; towards a green, carbon-neutral economy and contribute to the goal of limiting global temperature rise.
2. Specific objectives
a) To reduce the intensity of greenhouse gas emissions per GDP
By 2030: To reduce the intensity of greenhouse gas emissions per GDP by at least 15% compared to 2014.
By 2050: To reduce the intensity of greenhouse gas emissions per GDP by at least 30% compared to 2014.
b) To green economic sectors
To transform the growth model towards greening economic sectors, apply the circular economy model through economical and efficient exploitation and use of natural resources and energy based on science and technology, apply digital technology and digital transformation, develop sustainable infrastructure to improve the growth quality, promote competitive advantages and minimize impacts negative to the environment.
Key targets by 2030: The primary energy consumption per average GDP in the 2021 - 2030 period will reduce from 1.0 - 1.5%/year; the proportion of renewable energy in the total primary energy supply will reach 15 - 20%; the digital economy will reach 30% of GDP; forest cover rate will remain at 42%; at least 30% of the total irrigated dry crop area will apply advanced and water-saving irrigation methods.
Key targets by 2050: The primary energy consumption per average GDP in each period (10 years) will reduce 1.0%/year; the proportion of renewable energy in the total primary energy supply will reach 25 - 30%; digital economy reaches 50% of GDP; forest cover rate will remain at 42 - 43%; at least 60% of the total irrigated dry crop area will apply advanced and water-saving irrigation methods.
c) To green lifestyle and boost sustainable consumption
To elaborate a green lifestyle combined with traditional beautiful lifestyle to create a high-quality life in harmony with nature. To implement the urbanization and build new rural areas to ensure green and sustainable growth targets; create a sustainable consumption culture in the context of integration with the world.
Click download to see the full text