THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, June 24, 2021
On mechanism of interdisciplinary coordination among committees, ministries, sectors and the People’s Committees of 28 coastal provinces and centrally run cities in information exchange and processing in order to ward off, then stop the violations of regulations against illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing (IUU) in foreign territorial waters
On October 23, 2017, the European Committee (EU) applied the warning measure of “Yellow Card” to Vietnam’s exploited marine products exported into the European Union (EU) as Vietnamese fishing ships and fishermen breached the regulations against illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing (IUU). In order to have the “Yellow Card” removed and preserve the brands of Vietnamese marine products, the Prime Minister, head of the National Steering Committee against the IUU fishing, has directed various committees, ministries, ministerial-level agencies and the People’s Committees of 28 coastal provinces and centrally-run cities to endeavor and apply resolute measures against IUU fishing, and the EC has recognized and highly appreciated Vietnam’s commitment, political resolve and efforts in applying the anti-IUU fishing measures.
However, the EC held that some activities remain slow, without marked improvement, especially the illegal fishing in foreign territorial waters by Vietnamese fishing ships has dropped but unstably and developed in a complicated manner. One of the important causes thereof is the unclose coordination among committees, ministries, ministerial-level agencies and the People’s Committees of 28 coastal provinces and centrally-run cities in exchange of information, detection, early prevention, investigation and timely handling of violation cases.
In order to resolutely prevent and put an end to the violation of regulations against IUU fishing in foreign territorial waters by Vietnamese fishing ships and fishermen, contributing to the removal of EC’s “Yellow Card”, the Prime Minister requests ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies and presidents of the People’s Committees of 28 coastal provinces and centrally-run cities to concentrate efforts on directing the functional bodies to strictly carry out activities of coordination, information exchange, detection, early prevention, investigation and timely handling of violation cases, based on the following major principles and contents:
1. Principles on information exchange and processing
a/ To comply with the Party’s undertakings and guidelines and the State’s policies and laws, in accordance with the functions and tasks of their respective units.
b/ To proactively and regularly exchange information; to ensure the supply of adequate, accurate and timely information.
c/ To ensure the unity, support and effective coordination among concerned agencies.
d/ The information and data exchanged between agencies shall be used only for the professional purposes of the information-supplied agencies.
dd/ Cases arising in the course of coordination in information processing shall be discussed and settled with unanimity under provisions of law.
2. Contents of the exchange of agencies’ information:
a/ The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development:
- The management of fishing ships and fishermen exploiting marine products on sea.
- The results of fishery cooperation against IUU fishing with other countries, international and regional organizations.
- The fishing ships which lose signals, cross the sea-fishing boundaries, are in the danger of encroaching upon foreign territorial waters.
- The results of handling Vietnamese fishing ships which encroached upon foreign territorial waters.
- The Vietnamese organizations and individuals granted the written approvals or permits for fishing ships to exploit marine products in sea areas outside Vietnamese sea regions.
- The certification of output and inquiry into the origin of exploited marine products; recording and submission of marine product- exploiting diaries and reports.
- The results of certification of information related to fishing ships and fishermen sent for diplomatic missions to use as basis for struggle and protection of legitimate interests of Vietnamese fishermen.
Click download to see the full text