THE PRIME MINISTER
Decision No. 677/QD-TTg dated May 18, 2017 of the Prime Minister on approving the Scheme for developing Vietnamese digital knowledge system
Pursuant to Law on Organization of the Government dated June 19, 2015;
Pursuant to Law on Science and Technology dated June 18, 2013;
Pursuant to the Government’s Decree No. 08/2014/ND-CP dated January 27, 2014 on providing guidelines for certain articles of Law on Science and Technology;
Pursuant to the Government’s Decree No. 11/2014/ND-CP dated February 18, 2014 on science and technology information activities;
Pursuant to the Prime Minister’s Decision No. 418/QD-TTg dated April 11, 2012 on approval for strategies for developing science and technology from 2011 to 2020;
Consider the request of the Minister of Science and Technology
Article 1. To approve the scheme for developing the Vietnamese digital knowledge system (hereinafter referred to as “the Scheme”):
A country cannot develop sustainably unless it focuses on science and technology and develops the effectiveness of creative capacity based on the sound knowledge of its people.
To make the country develop more quickly and sustainably when the world is entering the 4th Industry Revolution, scientific research and technological development shall be enhanced and capacity to renovate of each individual and organization shall be improved in all domains and areas
The establishment and operation of the Scheme will motivate and enable people to study during their whole life and control their own knowledge, intensify the research into and application of science and technology; promote the intellectual power of the whole people and the development of the country.
I. SCHEME’S OBJECTIVES
1. Set up the Vietnamese digital knowledge system by consolidating, systematizing, localizing, digitizing, keeping and popularizing knowledge in all areas, firstly providing assistance in education and training, innovation and other areas directly related to human lives such as law, health, production techniques, etc.
2. Create a favorable environment for Vietnamese people to use and contribute to digital knowledge resources
3. Arouse and spread the passion for science and technology, aspiration for creation and dedication of all people and enterprises, especially the young generation, intellectuals and IT enterprises related to creating, enriching and spreading knowledge.
4. Gradually contribute to the development of the Vietnam's digital content industry and provide guidance on the use of knowledge for users in the network environment.
II. TASKS AND MEASURES
1. The State shall provide a mechanism to encourage enterprises to build infrastructure for storage and sharing of knowledge and develop applications to concurrently utilize and enrich the Vietnamese digital knowledge system.
Large enterprises that are enthusiastic and have the potential for information technology and network infrastructure shall play the key role in the infrastructure development using tools of search for, management, storage and sharing of information and knowledge which are used as the foundation of the Vietnamese digital knowledge system.
2. All resources, especially young people, students and young intellectuals shall be used for localization, consolidation, preparation of statistics on and digitization of common knowledge sources and basic knowledge from the Vietnamese knowledge system and human knowledge systems such as the encyclopedia, Wikipedia, etc. through knowledge contests, mobilization and activities aiming to commend individuals, organizations and communities. Gradually develop the abovementioned activities into movements of the whole people.
3. Organize a system of questions and answers, expert system, artificial intelligence, etc. to collect practical demands for people’s knowledge and concurrently create knowledge that has been verified or is required to be verified.
4. Consolidate and digitalize the existing basic knowledge and community knowledge and use them for creating contents of the Vietnamese digital knowledge system.
Existing basic knowledge shall include laws, state policies, public information of regulatory authorities; knowledge related to education such as textbooks, lectures, reference materials, courses of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), electronic learning materials; knowledge acquired from projects on scientific research and technological development, scientific articles, results of research and inventions, information on intellectual property, standards, measurement and quality; useful techniques and technologies, lessons in successful application of science and technology in production and life, etc.
Community knowledge which is collected and continuously updated shall include common scientific knowledge in social life such as health care, health, epidemic prevention, farming, animal husbandry, irrigation, technology for maintenance, processing, clean technology, food hygiene and safety, life sciences, etc.
5. Standardize knowledge of important areas such as law, health, etc to ensure the accuracy and truthfulness and mobilize the participation of ministries, Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations, unions and occupational associations.
6. Enable all enterprises, especially startups, to use data and tools of the Vietnamese digital knowledge system for developing diverse applications and organize the applications scientifically in order to utilize them easily.
7. Promote and assist enterprises to use the Vietnamese digital knowledge system for developing search engines, translation, data mining, knowledge management, artificial intelligence applications, social interaction, etc. to gradually encourage the Vietnamese, firstly young people to use products on the network environment developed by Vietnam.
Click download to see the full text