THE PRIME MINISTER
Decision No. 562/QD-TTg dated April 25, 2017 of the Prime Minister on approving the Program on development of basic sciences in the fields of chemistry, life science, earth science and marine science during 2017-2025
Pursuant to the June 19, 2015 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the June 18, 2013 Law on Science and Technology;
Pursuant to the Government’s Resolution No. 46/NQ-CP of March 29, 2013, on the Program of Action to implement Resolution No. 20-NQ/TW of November 1, 2012, of the
6th Plenum of the Party Central Committee (XIth Congress), on development of science and technology to serve the national industrialization and modernization in the context of a socialist-oriented market economy and international integration;
At the proposal of the Minister of Science and Technology,
Article 1. To approve the Program on development of basic sciences in the fields of chemistry, life science, earth science and marine science during 2017-2025 (below referred to as the Program), with the following principal contents:
1. The State plays the leading role in the development of basic sciences, considering investment in basic sciences as long-term investment with a view to heightening the position of Vietnamese science in the region and the world on the basis of taking into full play advantages, natural resources, and natural and environmental conditions of Vietnam.
2. To develop basic sciences as a foundation for absorbing and mastering state-of-the- art technologies and modem scientific achievements from around the world in combination with baseline surveys and application in the solution of practical problems to serve socioeconomic development and safeguarding of the sea and island sovereignty.
3. To develop basic sciences through intensifying and expanding international cooperation and in connection with tasks of universities, contributing to improving the quality of human resources in the field of science and technology and forming research universities.
1. General objectives:
To raise the potential of basic sciences in the four fields of chemistry, life science, earth science and marine science; by 2025, to strive to lift the position of Vietnamese science to the advanced level in the region, with researches directed toward absorbing and mastering advanced technologies in these fields in order to serve socio-economic development and ensure national defense and security.
2. Specific targets:
a/ To build a contingent of highly qualified scientists who can contribute to improving the human resources training quality up to international standards. To develop promising young researchers’ groups in tertiary education institutions, contributing to forming research universities and striving to form between 15 and 20 strong research groups in each field by 2025;
b/ To raise the position of Vietnamese science in the region and the world, striving for the target that by 2025 some fields will attain the 3rd or 4th ranking among the Southeast Asian nations. To increase the number of Vietnamese scientific works published in prestigious international scientific journals (on the list of SCOPUS database) by 20-25% year on year, and 10-15% for marine science;
c/ To develop a number of key interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary and application- oriented basic researches in order to absorb and master advanced technologies to serve production and life.
III. TASKS AND SOLUTIONS
1. To set forth priority orientations for basic research and application-oriented basic research in the four basic sciences through 2025, with a vision toward 2030, in the following main areas:
- Organic chemistry;
- Inorganic chemistry;
- Theoretical and physical chemistry;
- Polymer and material chemistry;
- Analytic chemistry.
b/ Life science:
- Research into life at the molecular level;
- Research into life at the histological and cellular levels;
- Research into life at the body level;
- Research into life at the population and ecological levels.
c/ Earth science:
- Geophysics and physics of the Earth;
- Meteorology and climate;
- Hydrology and water resources.
d/ Marine science:
- Oceanography and air-sea-land interactions;
- Marine chemistry;
- Marine biology and ecology;
- Marine geography, geology and geophysics;
- Marine mechanics and works.
2. The State shall place orders for national-level tasks following the priority research directions with specialized scientific and technological institutions in order to turn out applied products for production and life.
Click download to see the full text