THE PRIME MINISTER
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, January 22, 2020
Approving the strategy of tourism development for Vietnam by 2030
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government dated June 19, 2015;
Pursuant to the Law on Tourism dated June 19, 2017;
At the proposal of the Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism,
Article 1. Approving "Vietnam Tourism Development Strategy by 2030" with the following contents:
1. Making tourism a key economic sector, creating a driving force for the development of other industries and sectors and making an important contribution to forming a modern economic structure.
2. Developing tourism sustainably and inclusively on the basis of “green growth”, optimizing tourism's contribution to the United Nations sustainable development goals; effectively managing and using natural resources, protecting the environment and biodiversity, actively responding to climate change, and ensuring national defense and security.
3. Focusing on developing cultural tourism, associating tourism development with preserving and promoting the value of heritages and national cultural identity.
4. Developing tourism towards professionalism, quality and efficiency; strongly applying the advances of the Fourth Industrial Revolution and focusing on developing high-quality human resources.
5. Developing international tourism in parallel with domestic tourism; promoting on-the-spot exports through tourism; strengthening the connectivity to promote the advantages of natural and cultural resources; diversifying tourism-related products, expanding markets and enhancing the competitiveness of Vietnam's tourist industry.
1. By 2025
Vietnam will become an attractive destination, striving to be among the top three countries in tourism development in Southeast Asia and top 50 countries with the world's leading tourism competitiveness, of which all 14 criteria will have been strengthened in line with the sustainable development requirement.
- Total revenue from tourists will reaches VND 1,700 - 1,800 thousand billion (equivalent to USD 77 - 80 billion) and the average growth will reach 13 - 14% per year; the direct contribution to GDP will reach 12 - 14%.
- Creating about 5.5 - 6 million jobs, of which about 02 million are direct jobs, with an average growth of 12 - 14% per year.
- Regarding tourists: Striving to receive at least 35 million international tourists and 120 million domestic tourists, maintaining the average growth rate of international tourists from 12 to 14% per year and domestic tourists from 6 to 7% per year.
2. By 2030
Tourism will be truly a key economic and sustainable development sector. Vietnam will become a particularly attractive destination, one of the top 30 countries with the world's leading tourism competitiveness, meeting the requirements and goals of sustainable development.
- Total revenue from tourists will reach VND 3,100 - 3,200 thousand billion (equivalent USD 130 - 135 billion) and the average growth will reach11 - 12% per year; the direct contribution to GDP will reach 15 - 17%.
- Creating about 8.5 million jobs, of which about 03 million are direct jobs, with an average growth of 8 - 9% per year.
- Regarding tourists: Striving to receive at least 50 million international tourists and 160 million domestic tourists; maintaining the average growth rate of international tourists from 8 to 10% per year and domestic tourists from 5 to 6% per year.
1. Continuing to renovate awareness and thinking on tourism development
a) Sufficiently considering tourism as a general economic service with profound humane and cultural contents, mainly contributing to economic integration, motivating the development of other industries, bringing economic, cultural, social, environmental, political, external and national security-defense effectiveness.
Click download to see the full text